UNIT 1 A
“I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.” G. K. Chesterton.
1. Do you identify with Chesterton’s opinion or do you disagree?
2. How useful can advice from parents, teachers, and friends be? Do you follow their advice? Can you think of any occasions where people have followed or ignored advice (particularly regarding studies and work)? What happened?
3. What do you understand by “success”? Who are the most famous people in Spain at the moment? Why are they famous? Do they deserve the fame they enjoy?
4. Which of the following quotations do you most agree with?
- “Success is the completion of anything intended.”
- “Success is making loads of money.”
- “Success is fulfilling your potential.”
- “Success is doing what you said you would do, with ease”.
- “Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.”
- “Success is the child of hard boring work and perseverance.
- “Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value.” Albert Einstein.
- “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by healthy child, a garden patch, or an acceptable social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; this is to have succeeded.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.