SAME WORD, DIFFERENT STRESS
- She’s set an Olympic record.
She’s recording her new song in the studio.
- There’s been an increase in the number of students.
Numbers are decreasing every year.
- This is a cheap import.
They import their oil from the UK.
- Oil is one of their biggest exports.
We need to export more.
- Is there a discount on this?
They discounted the theories.
- I’d like a refund, please.
We’ll refund you 50%.
- Do you need a permit to fish here?
They won’t permit her to leave the country.
- They’re reporting armed conflict in the area.
His opinion conflicted with hers.
- She entered a beauty contest.
They contested the results.
- Your offer is so low it’s an insult.
Don’t insult me!
- There’s a student protest today.
They are protesting against cuts.
- He was a rebel when he was younger.
He rebelled against authority.
- That’s a rewrite of an old song.
She rewrote her story.
- We’ve got some updates for you.
We are updating our files.
- They got an upgrade on the flight.
It’s time to upgrade our computer.
- I received an invite to her party.
They invited us to their house.
- There’s a misprint in the book.
He misprinted the word.
- Put a couple of inserts in this text.
He inserted a few words into her paragraph.
- Let’s do a customer survey to find out.
They surveyed over 1000 people.
- There’s a big contrast between you two.
He contrasted the two pictures.
- It’s just a minor detail.
The story details their struggle with poverty.
- You’ll need an escort to get through security.
He escorted her out of the door.
- He bought her a bottle of perfume for her birthday.
The roses perfumed the room.
- This is one of the rejects from the factory.
He rejected her advice.
- The victory was an upset in the championships.
He upset her with his cruel remarks.
- Have you signed the contract?
The economy is contracting.
- The conduct of the student was unacceptable.
They are conducting an enquiry.
- He treats her like an object.
She objected to the proposals.
- What subjects do you study?
She was subjected to hard criticism.
- He gave her a present.
He’s going to present his findings.
- They are working on a new project.
He projects himself well.
- The refuse collectors are on strike.
He refused permission.
- They went travelling in the Sahara desert.
The soldiers deserted their post.