THE FUTURE (OVERVIEW)
- FACTS: I will be 20 next month. / I will have a baby in March.
- PREDICTIONS BASED ON OPINION / GUESSWORK: I think it will rain next weekend. It always rains at weekends.
- WIll / SHALL: SPONTANEOUS DECISION / OFFER: “It’s so cold in here.” “I’ll close the window for you:” “Shall I open the window?”
- TIMETABLES → the plane to London leaves at 10.20pm.
PRESENT CONTINUOUS →usu. used with a complement of time.
- ARRANGEMENTS: We are seeing a musical at the theatre next week. (We have the tickets)
- ARRANGEMENTS: We have the intention of doing sth in the future. → “We are going to the theatre some time next week. We don’t really know what day.”
- PREDICTIONS BASED ON EVIDENCE: if there is evidence in the present to justify that prediction:→”Look at those black clouds. I’s going to rain.”
You will find more examples if you click on the following link: